Saulo Ribeiro is a two-time ADCC submission grappling champion as well as a 5-time black belt world champion. On top of this he is a leader of the Ribeiro Jiu Jitsu Association (6 Blades) and legendary figure in the grappling community. Below are 7 inspiring quotes from Saulo Ribeiro.
- If you think, you’re late. If you’re late, you muscle. If you muscle, you’re tired. If you’re tired, you die.
- It doesn’t matter if you are a champion on the mat if you are not a champion in your life.
- Schools nowadays teach Jiu Jitsu with the competition in mind. They should go back to basics and the true values of our sport. The original philosophy is being lost. BJJ is primarily an art of self-defense, where the discipline, which is improved self-esteem, which is progressing at the physical, mental as well as the human level.
- Your fears. Your insecurities. Your anxieties. Your sadness. Jiu Jitsu will reach inside and rip them out.
- Jiu-jitsu is the gentle art. It’s the art where a small man (or woman is going to prove to you, no matter how strong you are, no matter how mad you get, that you’re going to have to accept defeat. Thats what Brazilian Jiu-jitsu is.
- Just as the child must trust his mother, the white belt must believe in the good will of his instructor. There will be a time for questioning, but for now he must focus and train.
- Jiu Jitsu comes from the samurai which means to serve. So in order to get something you have to give.
Saulo still competes from time to time in Masters events and has a great website called BJJ Library with a wealth of techniques. If you have any other Saulo Ribeiro quotes feel free to share below in the comments.